Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Favorite Songs II: Nightingale by Norah Jones

Norah Jones' voice is proof enough that God exists. The Medievals had St. Thomas' five ways, we in modernity can just hear this young woman use the amazing gift that God has given her.

Nightingale is so silky and smooth in composition and lyrics and so brief in its depth that in paying homage to the nightingale, Norah pays it proper respect and does not make it stay too long.

ITunes has a counter whereby it keeps the number of times you have played a song all the way through. Mine for this song says 85. That can't be right. I've listened to this song well over double that many times.

And could listen to it on repeat all night long.

Nightingale
Sing us a song
Of a love that once belonged
Nightingale
Tell me your tale
Was your journey far too long?

Does it seem like I'm looking for an answer
To a question I can't ask
I don't know which way the feather falls
Or if i should blow it to the left

All the voices that are spinnin' around me
Trying to tell me what to say
Can I fly right behind you
And you can take me away


No comments: